The Lake Superior Circle Tour is a renowned journey that takes travelers on an unforgettable expedition around the majestic Lake Superior. As adventurers traverse the scenic route, they are met with awe-inspiring landscapes, picturesque beaches, and a plethora of natural wonders. Among the well-known attractions along this iconic tour lies a hidden gem that often remains undiscovered by the masses – Bathtub Island.
Finding Bathtub Island on the Circle Tour
Nestled along the eastern shores of Lake Superior Provincial Park, Bathtub Island is a captivating spot that enchants anyone fortunate enough to stumble upon it. Unlike some of the more popular stops along the tour, this secluded island remains a well-kept secret, accessible to those willing to venture off the beaten path. For travelers seeking a more intimate and tranquil experience, Bathtub Island offers the perfect respite.
To reach this enchanting destination, visitors can embark on a short and moderate coastal trail from Katherine Cove, meandering through the park’s lush forests. The journey to Bathtub Island grants adventurers the opportunity to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of the region while anticipating the delightful surprise awaiting them.
The Allure of Bathtub Island
As you step foot onto Bathtub Island, you are met with a mesmerizing sight, a natural basin, shaped like a bathtub, carved into the smooth rock formations. The basin is filled with crystal-clear, refreshing water, inviting you to take a relaxing soak and bask in the tranquility of the surroundings. The shallow depth of the pool allows you to wade comfortably, making it a safe and enjoyable experience for all.
One of the most enchanting features of Bathtub Island is the tranquil escape it provides. Despite growing popularity among travelers, this hidden gem still manages to offer a sense of solitude and seclusion that is increasingly rare to find along the Lake Superior Circle Tour. Embraced by privacy and serenity, Bathtub Island allows you to disconnect from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and immerse yourself in the peaceful embrace of the natural world.
Visiting Lake Superior Provincial Park
- Permit: All visitors in Lake Superior Provincial Park must purchase a day use permit. Visitors can purchase them at the Agawa Bay Visitor Centre, Gatehouse, or the Park Office.
- Parking: Parking on the side of the highway is prohibited. Visitors must park at the Katherine Cove or Sand River parking lots and hike along the coastal trail to Bathtub Island.
- Leave no Trace: All visitors must respect and maintain the ecological integrity of the location. This means staying on marked trails and off of dunes and dune grasses.
- Backcountry Etiquette: This is not a day use area, meaning all visitors must treat it as a backcountry trail. There are no toilets or garbage bins at the site. Visitors must practice backcountry etiquette by packing out whatever they bring in, including used toilet paper/tissues, and leaving no trace.
- Park Rules: Visitors must adhere to park rules regarding camping, cans, bottles, and fires, which are all prohibited.
Tips for Exploring Bathtub Island
- Plan Ahead: Before setting out on your adventure, gather essential supplies, such as water, snacks, sunscreen, and insect repellent. Adequate preparation ensures a more enjoyable experience on the island.
- Respect Nature: As you traverse the Lake Superior Circle Tour, remember to uphold the principles of Leave No Trace. Treat the environment and its wildlife with care, leaving behind nothing but footprints.
- Check Conditions: Stay informed about any safety advisories, trail closures, or weather updates before heading to Bathtub Island. Being well-prepared ensures a safe and enjoyable visit.
- Seasonal Timing: While the Lake Superior Circle Tour can be appreciated throughout the year, consider visiting Bathtub Island during the summer months when the weather is milder and the waters are more inviting.
- Capture the Magic: Don’t forget to bring along your camera or smartphone to capture the mesmerizing beauty of Bathtub Island and its stunning surroundings.
As you embark on the Lake Superior Circle Tour, make a point to uncover the hidden gem of Bathtub Island. This enchanting destination offers travelers a chance to experience the pristine beauty of Lake Superior Provincial Park in a secluded and tranquil setting. Surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, the natural pool on Bathtub Island is a soothing oasis that allows you to connect with nature and create cherished memories along this unforgettable journey.