Traveling with a dog can be a rewarding and fun experience, especially if you are planning to do the Lake Superior Circle Tour, a scenic road trip that takes you around the majestic Lake Superior. However, there are some things you need to know and prepare before you hit the road with your furry friend. Here are some tips to help you enjoy your trip and avoid any hassle at the border.
Check the Import and Travel Requirements for Dogs
Depending on where you start and end your trip, you may need to cross the border between Canada and the U.S. several times. Both countries have specific import and travel requirements for dogs that you need to meet before entering. For example, Canada requires that dogs older than three months have a valid rabies vaccination certificate issued by a licensed veterinarian. The U.S. also requires a rabies vaccination certificate for dogs coming from Canada. You can find more information about the import and travel requirements for dogs on the website of the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and the U.S. Customs and Border Protection. For more information about crossing borders on a Lake Superior Circle Tour visit the Border Crossing page.
Find Pet-friendly Accommodations and Attractions
The Lake Superior Circle Tour offers a variety of lodging options, from hotels and motels to cabins and campgrounds. However, not all of them are pet-friendly, so you need to do some research and book ahead to ensure that your dog is welcome. You can use the Lake Superior Circle Tour website to filter the map locations by pet-friendly accommodations and attractions. You can also check other websites such as BringFido or TripAdvisor for more options and reviews. Similarly, not all attractions along the tour are suitable or accessible for dogs, so you need to plan ahead and check the rules and regulations of each place you want to visit.
Pack the Essentials for your Pooch
Traveling with a dog requires some extra items that you may not think of when traveling alone or with humans. Here are some of the essentials that you could pack for your dog:
- Food and water bowls, as well as enough food and water for the trip
- Leash, collar, harness, and ID tags
- Poop bags and a scoop
- Bedding, crate, or carrier
- Toys, treats, and chews
- Grooming supplies, such as brushes, shampoo, towels, etc.
- First aid kit, medications, and health records
- A recent photo of your dog in case he or she gets lost
Keep your Dog Safe and Comfy
Traveling can be stressful for some dogs, so you need to make sure that your dog is safe and comfortable during the trip. Here are some tips to help you achieve that:
- Make frequent stops along the way to let your dog stretch, exercise, and relieve himself or herself
- Never leave your dog alone in a parked car, especially in hot or cold weather
- Secure your dog in a crate, carrier, or harness while driving
- Avoid feeding your dog right before or during the trip to prevent motion sickness
- Keep your dog hydrated and avoid giving him or her human food or unfamiliar treats
- Provide your dog with familiar items, such as toys or bedding, to make him or her feel more at home
Have Fun and Enjoy the Scenery with your Dog
The Lake Superior Circle Tour is a great opportunity to bond with your dog and enjoy the beauty of nature together. You can take advantage of the many hiking trails, beaches, parks, and scenic views that the tour offers.
You can also take photos of your dog in front of landmarks or natural wonders, such as waterfalls, lighthouses, or rock formations. You can also meet other travelers and their dogs along the way and share stories and tips. Remember to be respectful of other people and animals, as well as the environment, by following the rules and etiquette of each place you visit.
Traveling with a dog can be an amazing adventure if you plan ahead and prepare well. By following these tips, you can make sure that you and your dog have a memorable and enjoyable time doing the Lake Superior Circle Tour.